top of page
  • Writer's pictureNicole Christie

What Is the DCF Central Registry and Can I Appeal My Placement?

Most states, including the state of Connecticut, have a statewide registry where listings of child neglect, abuse, and maltreatment records are maintained. In Connecticut, this registry is known as the Connecticut Department of Children and Families (DCF) Central Registry. Here is an overview of what you should know about the DCF Central Registry and what happens if your name is placed on the registry, as well as what you should know about appealing the placement.

What Is the DCF Central Registry and When Is a Name Placed on the Registry?

If you are suspected of child abuse or neglect in our state, your name can be placed on the DCF Central Registry. When a person is suspected to be a risk to a child, the DCF will conduct an investigation. At the conclusion of the investigation, the DCF may make a finding of substantiation. Substantiation means that the DCF has found that there is reasonable cause to believe that child abuse or neglect has occurred. If there is a finding of substantiation, then your name may be placed on the DCF Central Registry, but it depends on the circumstances of the case.

What Are the Consequences of a Name Being Placed on the DCF Central Registry?

If your name is added to the DCF Central Registry, the record will include your name, another identifying fact or data set (such as your address or date of birth), the date of the DCF investigation, the nature of the investigation, the DCF’s finding and the risk level of the child, as determined by the DCF.

A DCF Central Registry listing is not available to the general public and will not be accessible if a criminal background check is conducted against you. However, it will be available to the Child Protection Department. It may also be available to future employers.

Perhaps most significantly, having your name placed on the DCF Central Registry can take an emotional toll on your family. Placement on the DCF Central Registry may also impair your ability to obtain certain employment types where interaction with children is part of the job, such as a job as a nurse, teacher, coach, etc.

Can I Appeal the Placement of My Name on the DCF Central Registry?

When the DCF makes a finding of substantiation, they must inform the identified perpetrator/parent of their finding; within that notice, the DCF is legally required to provide the parent with information about the basis for the finding, the right of the person to bring forth an administrative appeal, and the steps to take to bring forth the appeal. You have 30 days from the date of receiving the notice to file an appeal.

During the appeals hearing, you will have the opportunity to present evidence that contradicts the DCF’s evidence against you. It is especially important that you have an attorney who can represent you during this process. Your attorney can call witnesses to the stand, challenge the DCF’s evidence, and cross-examine the primary DCF investigator on your case. If your appeal is successful, then your name will not be added to the DCF Central Registry.

There is another way to remove your name from the DCF Central Registry: filing an application for removal at a later date. If you can prove that circumstances have significantly changed since your name was first placed on the registry, then you can have your name removed from the list. You will need to provide evidence of completion of rehabilitation services, a copy of your criminal record, and recommendation letters from employers, a therapist, or another trusted source. The DCF will also investigate if there have been any recent complaints brought against you/you have had a recent interaction with any child welfare agencies.

Get Help from a Trusted Attorney in Connecticut

Having your name placed on the DCF Central Registry can be scary and intimidating, and can have a long lasting effects. You may be wondering what happens next, whether or not your child will be taken away from you, and how your future opportunities may be impacted. When you call The Christie Law Firm, LLC, our attorney can help you to appeal having your name placed on the DCF Central Registry and provide you with representation as you navigate the consequences of a DCF substantiation finding.

We have experience working on DCF cases like yours and we know how much is on the line for you and your family. For the legal support and counsel that you need, call us today at (860) 461-7494, send us a message online, or visit our law office in person for a consultation.

42 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page